Box Joint Full Size Bed Build - Day 1

This morning started at 3:30 AM and got off on the right foot with a new build that I'm very excited about!  I am going to be building a twin size bed for a coworker in exchange for a crib, a very nice one, a dresser and a some cash as well.  This build is fairly time sensitive, we need a crib for our little girl that's on the way, so I won't be doing a build video for YouTube on it, but want to try something different and document the build on my website with more details to accompany my posts on Instagram.  I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on things you'd like to see more of on the build or website in general.

IMG_20170925_093709_103.jpg

Enough chit chat, lets get to it.  I build this little test piece/proof of concept, so this is the look I'm going for, but on a much larger scale!  This bed is based on measurements that I found on Ana White's website, but I am changing all of the joinery to box joints which should help it hold up for a lot longer!

Started off breaking down the 2x4 into rough lengths making sure to over size them, much easier to take more off than trying to make them longer!  I cut them straight down the middle with the MicroJig GRR-Ripper and the FeatherPro which make this job much safer!

I didn't calculate how many 2x4s I would need correctly, so I'm just working on the end section currently.  Because of that I need to make sure all of the side sections are the same height, so I made a little template out of scrap so I can get the exact same setup once I get the wood for the other two sections.  

IMG_20170926_052807-01.jpeg

All of the short pieces are cut to their final length, while the longer ones will have some hang over so I can cut them down to their final width after it's assembled.  

IMG_20170926_054433-01.jpeg

Using my Armor Tool workbench and Dog Fences to keep things square and make assembly easier, I made a little jig to get the same spacing on each "finger" of the joint.  I laid everything out to make sure I had the best side showing and used glue and 2" brad nails to hold everything together while the glue dries.  The coolest thing about this bench is the ability to set up temporary jigs like this without having to actually "create" the jig, the bench has improved this process a ton!

I got the two short sides finished!   Most of the morning was spent milling the wood up.  I'm going to be working on the long sides tomorrow morning and hope to go get the rest of the wood I need tonight.  For now, I'm off to the day job.  Please let me know what you all think of this, I'd love some feedback!  I'll be back tomorrow with some more for ya!