Pallet Wood Corner Desk Details:

After completing my rebuild of my main computer, I decided I need to build a nice looking desk to compliment it!  Since I had a pallet/reclaimed wood theme going, I decided to stick with that.  When I built this desk my tool selection wasn't all that great and I didn't have a jointer, planer, or brad gun, so I was forced to sand a lot, and I mean a lot, and I used screws to hold everything down.  If I were to redo the build with my current tool setup, I am sure it would look much better, but I am very happy with how it turned out!

Lets get started!

Items Needed:

  • Miter Saw
  • Table Saw
  • Jig Saw
  • Router
  • Belt Sander
  • Random Orbital Sander
  • Drill and Impact Driver
  • Propane Torch
  • Kreg Jig
  • Screws
  • OSB
  • Pallet Wood

Before learning how to use Google Sketchup my plans were all drawn out.  This desk is sized to fit between my entertainment center and the wall.  

I started out by cutting a sub-base out of 1/2" OSB using a jigsaw.  It is important to make sure that this is the correct dimensions, this is what we will rout along to trim the top boards.

Cut a 45 degree angle on boards long enough to hang over the edge of the sub-base and lay out the pieces to find a good fit.  I used a tapering jig on my table saw to get a straight edge, and then ripped all of the boards down to 3".  Once you find a good fit, screw the boards down to the sub-base.  Use a jigsaw to cut away most of the overhanging wood, be careful not to cut into the sub-base.

Using a flush trim bit on your router, position the bit so that the bearing is riding on the sub-base.  Rout all sides of the desktop making the template and the top flush with one another. 

I constructed a simple frame using the thicker runners from the pallets joining them with pocket screws.  I love the look of the stamps so I was sure to show those off.  The top frame consists of 2" x 2" pieces that are inset 2.5" from the edge to screw the desktop down to.

I then sanded a lot, and I mean a lot, using the belt sander to remove any really high spots and finishing with the random orbital sander to get the top smooth.

Next I ripped the thicker runner boards down to roughly .75" and used this as the face to cover up where the sub-base meets the top.  I also used a homemade vinegar-steel wool stain, you can see how it turned some of the oak boards purple.  I ended up sanding most of this away, but it got in the cracks and grooves in the wood which made for a really cool contrast showing off the "rustic" look of the wood.

After some more sanding I went along all of the outer edges and burned them with the propane torch.  Then I sanded some of this off to help it blend with the desk a little better. 

After a final sanding I applied a couple coats of Minwax Early American stain, and followed that up with several coats of Minwax Polyurethane to protect the desk.

gotwoodworkshopdeskfinal

Here it is all finished!

I moved the desk inside and set my recently finished computer re-build up on the desk.  

That's it!  I am very happy with the way that it turned out and I love the way the setup looks on the desk!